I always thought that goodbyes are sad, tough, and really hard to do. I have encountered some goodbyes in the past and none of them seemed to be so exciting and fulfilling. But, in this phase in my life, I have never felt so excited to exit from something I have been longing to leave. Not that I am not grateful for being a part of it but having had the courage for letting go of something worthwhile to achieve better horizons and experience new opportunities… is the most satisfying kind of goodbye.
Goodbye to the old stresses.
Reblogging this post from my Tumblr.
I am one of those people who have best friends of the opposite gender. I am a girl and my best friend is a guy. It is rare to find individuals who share such kind of friendship. In my case, I am fortunate enough to have found a best friend that happens to be a guy.
Most girls hang out with their other girl friends who can relate to them and have the same interests as them. Of course, I also have my own share of girl friends and I am in a tight relationship with them. But, there is something with my guy best friend that makes him unique and sets him apart from all of my other friends.
Having a guy best friend have its own advantages and disadvantages. Let me give you some of those (I am only going to provide five for each since there are a whole lot. This entry would get too long!)
First off, the disadvantages (let’s start with this so that by the end of this post, you’ll get why it’s cool having a guy best friend).
- They are too honest. Why is this a disadvantage? Let me defend that. We know that most guys are known to be more straightforward rather than cautious especially when it comes to expressing their opinions. Most often than not, they forget to be sensitive. There are instances when you would hear comments from him that, I swear, you would never have expected to hear. For example, you want him to appreciate your looks but he instantly tells you that you actually don’t look good. Haha! But hey, that kind of feedback helps if you take it in a good way.
- They find it hard to understand the “girl” thing. By “girl” thing, I meant those stuff that girls do that guys do not. They won’t understand why we take so long taking a bath, why we find it hard to choose the right clothes to wear for the day, why we wear make-up, the mood swings we often have and the like. And oh, how could I ever forget the times when our monthly visitors come! The cramps and all – they will never understand.
- People’s impression and judgments on your relationship. Other people who absolutely have no idea what kind of relationship you both share would think that you’re a couple. Even those who know about your friendship would think that you’ll end up together in the future. This is a disadvantage because people misjudge you. It will make the friendship awkward (well, not really). People will always look at you and keep track on what’s going on between the two of you even though there aren’t (really) anything at all. I find this one funny, though. I would explain further on number 5.
- Other guys will forget about pursuing you because somebody’s on guard. THIS. When other guys become interested in you, they hesitate to get near you finding out that you have a guy best friend. Guys know stuff about other guys (I think?). The best friend will always be vigilant of the other guy, making the latter intimidated and hesitant to get you.
- You can never risk your friendship to turn into something beyond “friendship”. The friendship that both of you share is special, something that’s very rare. You won’t ever want to break each other’s hearts nor give each other pain. Moreover, as I have mentioned in number 3, I find it funny because getting into more than just friendship will be very difficult. Know why? Because you know each other too well, you know each other’s secrets (even the darkest ones). Being too comfortable as friends would bring both of you to a very uncomfortable situation later on. Well, I am not speaking in general because there are couples who started out as best friends then turned into lovers that have magical relationships (fairy tale-ish, that is). In my case though, I don’t have the time thinking of that with my best friend. I bet he doesn’t have time for that too. I think it is overly awkward.
Continue reading “Having A Guy Best Friend”
Today, I have finally decided on something important. I have been praying about something for the past few months already and I believe, God has been so good. Most of the time, our prayers don’t really get the answers straight right through. Sometimes, these answers take time to reveal themselves to us – through circumstances that we don’t expect to happen.
The answer to my prayer was revealed today. God has finally given me the answer to my prayers. All I needed to do with His answer was to act on it – have the guts to act on it. One phrase repeatedly popped in my mind today: “Have courage.” I believe that was God’s voice telling me to do what I have to do, that I am one step closer towards His will.
I admit I am kinda weak when it comes to taking risks but today was a different thing. I need to do something, I need to act on it. And voila! I did it today. It was with a heavy heart imagining how it would affect other people. However, for the longest time I have always considered others, I must now do something for myself. If not now, then when? And with what I did, I have felt a really great peace of mind. And it was something I haven’t felt for the past few years.
I believe I am taking a leap of faith… and if it’s God’s will, I know I am taking the right direction. He revealed it to me today and I will do what He wants me to do. All glory is always His.